Sunday, July 15, 2012

day 39-44, from Omsk to Novosibirsk (700 km)

Day 39, 130 km

I left John and Kate's flat in the morning and was at the dentist at 9. She fixed my broken tooth! I hope it will last forever...
The Landscape in Siberia is not what I expected. Still there are only young birch grooves and a lot of grass along the way. Is this the Taiga?
 The birches seem to be very good to survive fire. Here you can see a groove that must have burnt this spring.
At noon I passed a little lake where i could refresh myself. 
I thought I was clever when I chose the side of the road where the wind was coming from when I chose my sleeping-place in the evening. As usual I rode on a little road one kilometre away from the big road and then I found a little nice birch groove. What I did not know was that it was not quiet there either. The groove was only 300 meters from the trans siberian railway! So my sleeping place was between the road and the railway.

Day 40, 145 km

This day was a really good day! I had a wind from behind and had an average of 23 km/h. Although I bought many things in the afternoon (water, groceries and a watermelon, in total about12 kg). I came to a conclusion that Weight does not matter as much as wind.

Not so much changed in the landscape. It was still very flat and the road were good. Also the bus stops and the toilets were clean. Here you can see a bus stop with a special sign that you could throw your litter there. As usual in this region there also was a public toilette about 30 m behind the bus stop.
 The grass seemed to be shorter and dryer than in western Russia. Or was it because of the time of the year? Anyway it seems as if the climate is so dry here that you can let the hay dry on giant piles.
 I saw farmers using their scythes but I also saw really big machines.
 Here in Siberia this kind of Russian car is very popular. I don't know its name but they are either military green or grey. I think a suitable Swedish name would be "Gråsugga". Actually you also can find blue ones which are used by the post office. 
Most are like minivans but also trucks in different kinds. You still can buy new ones!
In the newer models actually there are safety belts,

Day 41, 95 km

This was a bad day. I awoke with a headache and a diarrhea. But what could I do else than continue? So I did, but slowly.
In Russia you can find many different sorts of cafés along the road. Some more charming than others. In the Urals there was a café in average at about every tenth kilometre, here in average about 30 km.
 I usually bike without a t-shirt because now (the whole week) it has been between 30-35 degrees. When I come to a café the first thing i do is to take on my t-shirt. When I left this café I took off my t-shirt. The owner stared at me a and asked if I was not cold? When i said I would become hot on the way he asked where i came from. He was not friendly and thought we had no culture in Sweden because we ride with a bare upper part f the body!

Day 42, 110 km and a lift of another 40 km

This night I slept very well and I thought I had become ok in my belly, but I was wrong. I was still weak and dizzy. I don't know if it was because of the heat or my diarrhea. 
At noon I crossed the transsiberian railway . Although there were so many trucks on the road still there were many trains going on the rails and their length one or two kilometres!
 Not only along the railway, but everywhere you can find Fireweed in Russia. Here you call it Johns Tea (Иван Чай). You use the leaves to make tea. In Sweden you can call it Rallarros, Mjölkort or Mjölke. It is much more beautiful than the picture!

Now it can be very hot. Sometimes when my thermometer is exposed to the sun it shows 55 degrees. But there is not much shadow for me either. I often take long brakes and continue in the evening, when it is cooler. 
This afternoon I got a lift bya kind truck driver. Although it was only 40 km it was very nice!

Day 43, 125 km

Also this day I was still weak. In the afternoon I asked myself what my body was longing for. I thought it was quite long time since I had a bath and longed for my bath tube in Sweden!
But then I came to a very nice little bath lake near the road. There were a lot of people and the water was brown and warm. But it was really nice to rest there for some hours!

 Here you can see the lake from the other side.
 In the evening I found a sleeping place very close to the big town Novosibirsk (about twice as large as Omsk). As soon as I was in my tent I realized that it was very close to the airport, so I could not sleep so well. many aeroplanes were starting and landing exactly above me.

Day 44, through Novosibirsk, 50 km

In the morning i did some service on my bicycle, then I rode down town. At a supermarket I bought fruit, vegetables and Kefir, products that were difficult to get the last week.
 Finally I got to the town and looked at some nice building on the way to the zoo
 The Zoo of Novosibirsk is very famous and big.
 You can find many different kinds of animals.
 Sympathetic I found that there were many activities for children
 Everything was very beautiful
 May different birds,
 fishes
 and one of the main attractions, the polar bears!
 I wondered what they thought about the temperature?

I also used the toilets of the zoo several times and discovered that my stomach problem still was there...


In the evening I continued my travel to find a place for my tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment