Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 208 - 219, Big Sur to Venturia

Day 208, 125 km

It rained through the whole night but I was dry in my tent because I used the plastic sheet I had found in Russia. In the morning I bought some food at the grocery shop close to the restaurant where I had met the group of five young Swedes the evening before. They had planned to go south along the coast but because the road was closed they had to make a long detour to Las Vegas. (We were told that about ten km south there was a big slide of rocks on the street).
When they saw me cooking all my eggs they took some pictures of me and wished me good luck. 

I hoped that the road was open for bicyclers. But soon I was stopped by a highway patrol. The driver told me that the road was closed even for pedestrians and told me I should turn around. I said that I was not in a hurry and that I could wait at the roadblock. After five more km I was told the same by another highway patrol which I met. 
It was raining in showers the whole day.
Finally I arrived the obstructiuon and there was another highway patrol. He told me that there was a chance that the road would open in the evening but I should go back to the camping and wait. I said I preferred to wait where I was and he could not say anything. 
After about ten minutes he left with his car and I walked with my bicycle through the slide area. I met many workers which I said hello to. In the end I met one who said I was happy that I was allowed to walk through. I agreed with him and took some pictures of the big rock on the street. It was much bigger than a car and I was wondering if the bulldozer which was waiting there was big enough.

Now I had the road all for myself which was wonderful. After about one hour I met a truck with another bulldozer and after one more hour the third one. (some days later I learned to know that the road opened first two days later because the rock was so big and heavy)
 I had a wonderful day with mostly tailwind and in the evening I arrived in Cambrio, where I was invited to work as a volunteer at a farm. I called the farmer but did not feel very welcome. He actually seemed quite arrogant when he told me that there was only space for camping and that he would not go out of his house to meet me.

Day 209, 0 km

I became friend with another wwoofer at the farm but the atmosphere was not good there.
 I learned to know that it takes two years for an avocado to ripen and that it was important to pick only the ones which already were two years old.
 The first year avocados are shiny and the second year avocados are dull.
 This was our harvest that day. I decided to leave the farm next day at noon.

Day 210, 50 km

It was the day of farmers market so everybody on the farm (6 people) picked vegetables which could be sold there.
 It was a cold morning but at noon when I left the farm it was about 14 degrees Celsius. I passed some nice villages where I found a saloon like in an old western movie.
 In the evening I was invited to stay at a warmshowers hosts place in Los Osos. I arrived already at five so we had a long evening to exchange experiences and look at pictures. Richard had a lot of pictures he had taken in all National Parks I would like to see. He was already retired but said I was so young that I still had a good chance to see ALL places on earth I want to see. Somehow this saying made impression on me...
The we made a wonderful fish-vegetable-soup with the vegetables I had got from the farm.

Day 211, 115 km

I only had ridden about one km when I met Ilan and Emma, who had made a five day trip from LA. Right now there were going back the same route as me.
 They had slept outdoors in their tent although it was raining and they had become wet. Emma was lucky that she had no panniers on her Bianchi road bike!
At noon we ate in a funny restaurant. It was inside a train which was parked along the road.
 In the evening I arrived at a little town called Lompac. There I found a camping ground. But it was very cold, about 0 degrees. I was freezing in my tent and wondered how I could pass Grand Canyon, where it often was minus 10 degrees...

Day 212, 65 km

I was invited at another wwoof-place called Tara Rosa Ranch. Actually it was a very little place very close to the road and the coast. It was only about 45 km from Lampoc.
Several hours in the morning there was frost along the road. Since I was going uphill it would not become warmer a long time. But finally I passed the mountain and rode downhill to a much warmer climate at the coast.
I had no good landmarks to find the ranch and my google maps did not work because there was no coverage. Finally I thought I could have missed it and called Kevin, the owner. actually I almost had gone 10 km too far! He was not there but Naomi who lived there showed me around and made me feel very welcome.
There were many buildings on the property and I could move into a big camping trailer. Everything was surrounded by a wonderful permaculture garden with flowers, vegetables and fruit trees. They also had avocado trees and a walnut tree.

Day 213, 0 km

I started the day with picking weeds in the garlic lot. It was a wonderful sunny day and the forecast said it should be sunny all week (which actually was true). In the middle of the day I explored the beach and took a swim in the Ocean. It was actually New Years Eve! Kevin told me that they were planning to have a little party in the evening. In the afternoon we pulled out a huge stem of a cactus.
Finally the party started. Naomis father Mark was visiting and he was a good musician. Even Naomi was very skilled with her Guitarr!
 Kevins wife Nipa had mad good Thai-food and enjoyed the music.
 We had a good time until 2:30 in the morning.

Day 214, 0 km

Next day I was allowed to do may favor job: fix all the broken bicycles I could find. In the afternoon I joined Kevin shopping in Goleta and bought some new chains.

Day 215, 0 km

After I had made some paths in the garden I begun to build a shed for the bikes, so they would not rust again. In the evening we made a walk down to the beach and watched the sun go down.


 Day 217, 0 km

I helped to fit in a new (heavy) window into Kevins house. Mark was a very skilled carpenter!
 Then I continued with the bicycle shed.

Day 218, 0 km

One more sunny day which I enjoyed very much. Kevin helped me to send my broken camera to Nikon (of course it was not possible without an american address). I finished the shed and in the afternoon we had another party. Two families with small children were invited so it was very nice!

Day 219, 100 km

I left the ranch at 10 am. It was raining again but I felt strong and restad, so I did not care about it so much. Already after 10 km I got a flat tire. Actually I must admitt that I am disappointed of my Continental Contact. A sharp stone had gone through the kevlar (if there was any kevlar?).
 I had several showers of rain until I passed Santa Barbara. Then it was sunny and I had a wonderful tailwind. 
More and more people were at the beaches. The side-road was like a long camp ground for RV's (=Recreation Vehicles).
Finally I came to Ventura, where I left the coast. I am not so curious to see LA and I have heard that it can be very hard to find roads where bicycles are allowed. Instead I will take route 126 east, towards Grand Canyon!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you keep going nicely,we enjoyed having you here.May the wind always be at your back!
    Tararosa Ranch,Kevin/Nipa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilfred ,,,, Hi, I just came across this,so good to remeber you .Trust you are well. come on by soon!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kevin
      Nice to hear from you! Yes, I am fine. In some days I will finish my trip from Nordkapp to Cape Town! Become friend with me on Facebook! There you can find a lot of pics from my way through Africa!

      Delete