Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 336 - 343, Girona (Spain) to Zürich (Switzerland), via France

Day 336, 135 km

I still had a strong headwind... 
But soon I came to a sign that showed that it was not long to the border to France!
On the hills were growing cork oak trees.

The booths on the border of course was completely abandoned.
but soon  I came to a small town where I could fill up my water bottles at a cafe.
When I rode downhill into France I saw some parts of the Pyrenees which were covered with a lot of new snow. I was happy that I did not pass one week earlier and that I did not need to ride over the high mountains...
In the firs bigger town (Le Boulou) I stopped and waited until the Tourist Office opened at nine. I needed new a map...
On the Pyrenees I had found a good reflective vest. The old one had become bleached and brittle of the sun but now I still have it as a tail flag on my bike.
The mountains west of my were gorgeous! Still they grew wine in front.
I think this is a sun-powered well(?)
I passed Perpignon and had some difficulties to ride in parallel with the (not allowed) freeway...
I struggled with the wind all day long and late at night I passed Beziers.
Short after that town I found a nice place for my tent.

Day 337, 135 km.

The forecast for the wind was the same as the day before, so I chose to leave the coast and go further north on small roads. Although I knew that this road was more hilly I chose it because hills don't make you feel the wind so much and because I supposed to find more beautiful places along that road.
The roads were often birded with trees on both sides which also must have slowed down the wind a little.
On the hills I found ruins of old villages. Still they cut down the trees in a way as they have done since a long time
In one village I had a view to a mountain which had a strange shape.
And I also passed a lot of typical French houses and forts.
Someteimes there were nice downhills, but there the wind was very strong and sometimes I found nice creeks which I could use as bathtub.
They wer a little colder than the yacuzzies on the ship...
The views really were very scenic.
And in the evening I passed this wonderful town called Anduze.

Day 338, 85 km

The place where I slept was under a tree where a nightingale was singing all night through. It was a beautiful singing, much more varied than the nightingales I use to hear in Sweden, but I did not sleep much that night and woke up with a headache. I had struggled with the wind too many days and was really exhausted.
The roads were often very straight, certainly inspired by the way Napoleon liked it. But they really were very hilly too.
I passed many wild growing spring flowers, like here Iris.
And I really liked the landscape.
Before sunset I decided to stop for the day and cooked some rice, lentils and vegetables over an campfire.
The place where I decided to stay for the night was in a wood high up in the mountains next to a creek with a lot of potable water. I think it was one of my best sleeping locations!

Day 339, 120 km

I started the day with a long downhill to the river Rhone. The road west of it actually was 2 meters beneath the water level!
I followed the river to Valence, where I decided to go to NE and follow the Isere.
In this valley there were growing a lot of walnut trees.
They still had no leaves but the buds were opening.
I also met a strange company of caterpillars, probably siblings, who tried to cross the road.



Day 339, 135 km

It was a calm day and a cold, moist morning.
The mist was beautiful in the valley and the walnuts opened their buds.
I left the valley and rode on narrow roads again through small villages. The drinking fountains did not look at all as the one you can find everywhere in the US!
And not the toilets/bathrooms either.
Finally I came back to the river Rhone again and found a long bicycle path. I rode on it for several hours and saw a lot of bicyclists!
Then the valley became so narrow that there was no place for a road.
I continued on small roads over several hills...
Sometimes I became hungry and here you see what I ate:
Baguette with Olive oil, tomato, mozzarella, cheese, cucumber, ground elder and bear leek. The last two ingredients I had found a lot of along the road.
I decided to stay in a little wood not far from the border to Switzerland.

Day 341, 155 km

I went up early and crossed the border.
Then it was only some kilometers to Geneve.
I did a little sightseeing there but then I decided to try to ride 300 km to Zurich within two days.
There were wonderful bicycle roads in Switzerland and a lot of bicyclers, even more than in France.
Soon I met Daniel and Rebecka who were aiming to Milano.

Daniel rode on a recumbent bike!
We decided to take a break together at a beach of the Lake Geneva.
I took a bath, shaved myself and ate more baguette.
But soon after we started riding again Daniel got a flat and I decided to continue without them.
Since I have complained about many flats earlier I want to admit one thing: I have not had any flats since the end of March! And I hope that will continue even that I talk about it...
In Switzerland almost everything is very neat and perfect. This could be a typical village:
And the landscape is beautiful!
In Lausanne I discovered that people here are not only nice to bikers on the road (where they get a lot of space) but also on buses (where they are allowed inside)
In the evening it rained a little but I found a good sleeping place under a roof. That was good because it rained a lot that night and my tent is not waterproof any more. I do have a plastic flyer but it is so tight that I always am afraid the oxygen inside is not enough...
I found an electric outlet where I could charge my phone (although they have very special outlets in Switzerland!)

Day 342, 155 km

I discovered that there are covered wooden bridges not only in Pennsylvania!
But they look different in Switzerland!
15 km SW of Bern I made friend with a busdriver who invited me to come inside the bus and tell about my trip while he was waiting for his departure time.

At the same time I could check my emails with the wifi of the bus!
After Bern I followed a wonderful bicycle path (number 34)
which brought me through nice quite woods and farms.
Finally I decided that the car road was faster and there I was passed by a training couple; she on a road bike and he on a hand-driven recumbent bike. They stopped and asked me if they could invite me for a cup of coffee.
Here you can see the famous paralyzed Heinz Frei, who recently has won his 15th Gold Medal! (His wife took the picture). He was curious to hear about my trip and told me about his life and his mission. It really was an interesting meeting!
After that I rode until late at night to my sisters apartment in Zürich. The last hour it was raining and when I arrived I discovered that I had got conjunctivitis again. I was happy to be able to rest some days at her place!


Day 343, 0 km

Next day my sister took me to a optician to buy new contact lenses She insisted to pay (Thank you Christina!) and I promised to not wear them before 10 days, when my eyes should be ok again )now I am using the antibiotics I bought three weeks earlier in Chapel Hill).
Then we decided to do some sightseeing in Zürich.
This is a modern station of an architect who (like Gaudi) was inspired by plants and insects.
This is the Opera house and below you can see some of MANY trams.
Then we took a tour on a boat on the Zurich Lake
and had a good view on the Gold Coast.
In the evening the sun came out and it was really beautiful!



Finally we decided to eat at a fancy restaurant.
The fish plate I ate was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment