Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pouring rain and only 6 degrees!

When I left Stockholm yesterday it was cold and raining all day. Maybe it made it easier to leave it.On the way to the ferry to Riga I visited three of my former jobs: the preschool and both bus garages. I had asked them for some testimonials a week ago but a had bad luck. None of them was ready so I had to wait at all places.
Then I got the international driver license and my vaccinations.
Unfortunately the visa to China has the wrong date (it runs out before I get there), so I have to apply for a new one in Russia or Mongolia. Anyway I got my passport and rode to the ferry.
It was so cold that I you could see my steaming breath in the rain when I got there.

The crossing took 18 hours, so I had a plenty of time to organise my packing. I took a long shower and enjoyed the luxury of an own cabin. I wondered how often I will have such a luxury the next year?

Today I arrived in Riga at 11 am and had some sightseeing in the old town. I already have been there many times before, still I really like Riga.

I visited the occupation museum and joined a  guide who told a German group about the history of Latvia. Really interesting! The guard of the museum was a cyclist too and was interested about my plans. He took some pictures of me.


Also in Riga it was raining almost all day. I cycled to the Western parts of Riga, where I never had been before, and looked at all the old houses. Many houses had been renovated but still there were many wood houses. Some of them really wanted to be renovated.

I took many pictures of houses in different shapes, conditions and styles of architecture.
Especially in Jurmala, the goal the day, I found all kind of houses. I thought about it must be a good place for architecture studies or people who are interested to built their own house and need some inspiration. The funny thing is the contrast of all stiles you can find there. All houses are completely different but still standing so close to each other!

Jurmala, 25 km west of Riga, is a resort which has been famous since more than hundred years. The beach is called "the Riviera of the Baltic"; many kilometres of white sand.
Today there was nobody on the beach so I rode my bicycle several kilometres and tested if the tires were good enough for the dessert of Mongolia.

Anyway they were not too broad...

But close to the waves it was possible to ride.
Now I will go to visit a friend who once lived in my guest house. His name is Janis and he lives in Jurmala.
Today I had a really soft day with only sightseeing and resting at an internet coffee. It was a good beginning of my trip. But I hope you understand that I can not be consequent and write so much every day!

6 comments:

  1. Some of my friends asked how to write a comment. Now I am testing it by myself. I just clicked at the word comments and wrote this. Then I had to choose if I wanted to be identified with my google account, some other options or openID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great photographs!!
    Looks really najs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the description and the wonderful fotos, it is really very interesting - and I am happy to be able following your very especial trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Veronika, echt grosszügig! Ich bin gerade in einem Hotel das 30 Euro kostet. Wenn du willst kannst du das Geld an mein Konto überweisen. Ich glaub Wolfgang hat noch die Nummer(?)

      Thank you Veronika, really nice! I am right now in a hotel which costs 30 EUR. If you want you can transfer the money to my account. I think Wolfgang still has my number(?)

      Delete
    2. Ja, gerne! Hoffentlich finden wir die Nummer noch... Jedenfalls ist deine Beschreibung, wie du möglichst "moskitolos" in das Zelt schlüpfts, einfach umwerfend! Viel Glück bei der weiteren Reise, ich verfolge deine tollen und ausführlichen Berichte mit großem Interesse und Spannung. (Das Video vom Hotelzimmer finde ich übrigens besonders informativ!!!)

      Delete